Many Floridians have dealt with impending hurricanes. No matter how many you’ve faced, there’s always that sense of dread leading up to the possibility of the storm. This storm, Irma, is no exception. In fact, it has the potential for being one of the worst we’ve seen. Preparing your home and family is essential. Here are some tips that will help. But, the most important tip we can give you is to watch the news and follow the directions of local officials. Please stay safe!
- Evacuation Planning – Find out if you’re in an evacuation zone and be sure that you understand local evacuation routes.
- Buying Supplies – Purchase supplies well in advance and keep them on hand, especially throughout hurricane season. This should include bottled water, flashlights, canned foods, pet food, and a first aid kit. We know water has been difficult to find, but stores are restocking regularly and Amazon may also be a good source (though more costly).
- Copy Important Documents – Make copies of important documents and keep them in a safe place. This may include proof of ownership and insurance paperwork for home, cars, boats, etc.
- Protect Your Home – Take in outdoor furniture that could potentially be lifted and tossed by wind, secure any loose shingles or shutters.
- Secure Electronics – Backup electronics, charge your devices and unplug electronics that could be impacted by a power outage.
- Use Common Sense – Stay indoors, even if the eye of the storm is passing through, don’t drive through standing flood water and be patient waiting for emergency crews to help as needed.